War Memorials Walking Tour
- 2 Hour Private Walking Tour
- 3 Hour Private Walking Tour
- Visit a larger-than-life former president seated inside the Lincoln Memorial and learn the significance of this “sacred space”
- Explore a wall memorializing service members of the armed forces and mired in controversy over its original design
- Enjoy spectacular views of the National Mall from various memorial sites, including preserved parkland
- Hear the stories behind some of the engraved names and the backstories of each monument you visit
- Get an up-close look at the memorials’ more subtle and fascinating architectural features with a knowledgeable, local guide
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide
Exclusions: Souvenirs, tips and gratuities for the guide
Some of the most iconic monuments erected in the U.S. capital are not just visibly striking but serve as a reminder of those who sacrificed their lives for the country and, subsequently, contain the history of the nation and a valuable education for all who visit.
Our walk within the National Mall will include a stop at the Greek-temple inspired Lincoln Memorial, where we’ll hear about this structure’s fascinating history, the meaning behind its many inscriptions, and its cultural significance as a sacred space.
Other landmarks commemorating those who served include the Korean War Veterans, Vietnam Veterans, and World War II memorials. We’ll learn the surprising and touching stories behind not only the names and bas-relief sculptures, but also the aesthetic design choices of the memorials themselves.
We’ll end our stroll in a natural setting within the Mall, a beautiful place to relax, reflect, and take in the beauty and significance that this space was meant to evoke.